Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Broken News

I've been concerned - maybe even a little worried - about my news sources lately.

I've wanted to blame the small town newsrooms for my diminishing interest in tuning in at 6, 10 and on Sunday mornings, but honestly David Gregory wasn't doing it for me any more than Jennifer Ketchmark was.

Partly it's the news at 10. I'm still not used to the the time difference with the east coast.

But, does that explain my choosing to watch re-runs of The West Wing during the 7 am hour and not the Today show?

I guess my thinking has been that if CNN considered Lindsay Lohan getting released from 9 whole scary days of prison as BREAKING NEWS, then I am well within my rights to seek alternative sources.

CNN also told me she couldn't tweet, blog of have hair extensions.
Whew! Where would we be without hard-hitting journalism?

The 24 hour news cycle should at least afford me a strong foundation for the news of the day.

But did I know enough about the horrendous flooding Pakistan?

Or have there simply been too many international weather related disasters of late and what with the oil spill and Haiti we just don't need to know nearly as much about the suffering of people that let's face it, live really really close to Afghanistan.

I mean hell, they live next door to Afghanastan.
They could be terrorists, right, FOX News?

You want to know why I know there have been fires in Russia?
Not because Matt Lauer told me.

Because Emile Hirsch is filming a movie there and his movie was shut down because of said fires.

My Emile also guest blogged about the fires for the Huffington Post, by the by. You should check it out. And then totally read about Harry Reid breaking with Obama and how Danielle Staub has been FIRED from the Real Housewives of NJ.

FIRED!!

Really Andy Cohen?
Really?
You think this is my first time at the Bravo talk bubble?

We know it's a publicity stunt orchestrated by Bravo.

Because let me be perfectly clear.

The only reason to watch RHONJ is Danielle Staub.

Even that two head Theresa and those delightful children she's...raising isn't the right word..what is it..those children she buys things for are nothing without Danielle and her special K-razee.

So maybe I have nothing to worry about.

Jon Stewart's finger has been firmly on the pulse of the gulf oil spill and Chelsey Handler made some solid observations about that whole Freedom of Religion thing and where the Mosque is or is not.

Like the Gentleman's Club adjacent to Ground Zero isn't equally as upsetting to, I don't know, WOMEN than a place of worship might be.

So I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

I am going to stick with The Smoking Gun and The Colbert Report.

I will continue to await the return of Bill Maher and his pithy little NEW RULES.

Yes, I will check Perez and Dlisted every day too.

Maybe just in between I'll read more than the Wedding page of the New York Times.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely summed up. I miss hard news and real journalism. The trashy exploits of celebrities is not news, it's not even entertainment. It's pond scum in the lowest evolutionary sense.

    ReplyDelete