Wednesday, December 30, 2009

38 batteries

I don't know when it happened but I am now a person who always has batteries.
All sizes and lots of em.
In a drawer.
All organized.

Triple A.
D's.
Those weird size 9 that my cousin Scott showed me how to "test" when I was 8 by putting on my tongue.

If I was a nicer person, I would tell you not to try this.
I am not that nice.


I don't have these batteries because we have lots of state of the art remote controls working fancy schmancie electronics.

One of our TV's was my father's before he died and one is from Mike Brown's mother, who is also deceased. She died before we were married (maybe over 10 years now) and my father has been gone since 2007. Sometimes Lucio feels like Best Buy is calling out to him.

No flat screen plasma HD LED's for us.
Not yet.
I do sometimes find myself wishing we needed a new TV, but until one of these goes to join it's former owner, I am not pulling out our credit card.

I also don't have these batteries because we have anything all that fancy in either of our bedside table.

Which is not to say we don't have goody drawers.
We do.
Relax.

We simply have our perfectly lovely life together that doesn't always afford enough time for that many, um, toys.

It's one of my resolutions though.

We have exactly 19 Double A, 8 D's and 11 Triple A's.

Where was this person when I was jammin to my walkman in 1989 walking back Elkins dorm at Maryland? Let's Go, Maryland!! Fear the Turtle!

All these batteries got me noticing things I now have - and use - that I am sure seemed like a ridiculous waste of money 10 years ago.

And now I swear by them.

Here are some things I simultaneously experience buyers remorse and exceedingly high levels of pride when I see in my closets, drawers, and cabinets.

________________________________________

A cupcake carrier. Why would anyone have this? I'll tell you why.
How in the name of all that is good and holy are you supposed to transport cupcakes to school without one if these? Otherwise the icing gets stuck to everything. And really, who wants to eat those cupcakes?
________________________________________

Jewelry cleaner for gems and jewelry cleaning for silver. I used to, well, I never really had jewelry to concern myself with cleaning. But the fact is that the more weight I gain, the more earrings and bracelets Lucio's wisely purchases at holidays and birthdays.

Here's your little pearl of Heather wisdom for the day:

Never buy your wife XXX anything or Size 24 pants. Because if they are not from Nordstrom or Talbots, they could be too tight.

That bitch Lane Bryant is supposedly all about the big girls, but she sizes really small.

Whore.
________________________________________

Back and Neck Massager from Sharper Image. Truth be told, I love this thing. It totally comes in handy all the time. We are not getting any younger, and ever since we got this Wii for Christmas, it's getting used regu
larly.

Yes, it is the one Samantha Jones remarked "Not if you mount it." I will leave it to you to decide if I know she is right or wrong. But, really, how often was Samantha wrong about her sexual pleasure?

________________________________________

LL Bean Canvas Bags (in all sizes) with Monogram. I use them for the pool, for work, for travel, and vacation. They are so effortlessly elitist with their simple lines and completely useful. And just so you know, the largest bag is too big for to fit in an overhead on any American Airlines flight.
________________________________________

Cookie cutters for all holidays. Christmas. Halloween. Valentine's Day (for which I also have a heart shaped cake pan). Easter. 4th of July. Jack's birthday, in that I have all the letters to his name. The numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. They are all in these lovely containers in one drawer in the basement and I am ready to bake shapes with no urgent need to run to Williams Sonoma.

Not that east central Illinois has a Williams Sonoma, or a Trader Joe's, or a DSW...

________________________________________

Already ironed and folded linen napkins. I have them dry cleaned in October each year, and they are ready for the holidays. I follow each usage with a solid regimen of wash separately and iron with spray starch.

________________________________________

Two gravy boats (large and small) and several matching and different sized serving plates.

________________________________________

A set of eight Luray Pottery Tea cups and saucers. Two blue, two pink, two yellow and two green. Literally everyone who uses them asked where I got them.

Then I get to tell the famous story of my Ebay nemisis. Suffice to say, I learned the hard way about setting your alarms to get up in middle of the night, log in, and outbid.

Sadly, I did lose my first choice water pitcher in the process. Damnable tramp with login name of kohenry273.
________________________________________


As I have said before, Lucio laments regularly that we have too much stuff.

Now I can just refer to my blog to show clearly though he may be right...

what we have, we use.

No comments:

Post a Comment