Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Girls...My Girls...Talkin' bout my Girls

Do you remember when Grey's Anatomy was this show you had to - HAD TO - watch?

I think it's still a good show, don't get me wrong, but there was a time in the second season when it was fucking brilliant.

When we cared who Dereck chose.
When we liked Izzie.
When Burke shutthefuckup.
When Bailey screamed Vajayjay.

As of late, I don't really care if I watch it. I don't move things around to be sure I am home Sure, I DVR, but maybe I forget to watch until Sunday afternoon.

When I have ironing and I want something to look at.
And if I haven't already on-demanded all of the available episodes of Sex & the City.


Maybe television was just better 5-10 years ago?
I appear to enjoy watching shows that I already know the ending.

Anything is better than watching 17 tramps try to find true love on TV.
No, I will not accept that rose - because you people are the reason Europeans can justifiably mock us.

Or some under-fed housewife from LA who whines that her son is in prison and her husband wants to leave her? Um, honey, maybe less time as a "real housewife" on television an a little more time, I don't know, with your son's parole officer?

And before you get all huffy, I know about this Real Housewife show because West Wing is on Bravo...and Bravo really like to run and run and run the same commercials. All morning long.

I don't watch Real Housewives of LA.

The Jersey one? Yeah, that one I watch.
Prostitution Whore!!

My most favorite Grey's was the one when the man had the bomb in his chest, and Christina Ricci was there, and then Meredith switched places with her (and of course, the bomb didn't explode because it was a TO BE CONTINUED...

The part I love of this particular episode is the end.

Meredith is covered in ash of hot (dead) bomb squad guy (sorry if you've not seen it) and Izzie and Christina (Yang, not Ricci) hold Meredith up in the shower, because she needs them. Her needs are not expressly said mind you.

They are her girls and she needs them to.
Without a word, they know what to do.

When I watched it the first time, Lucio came out and asked me what I was crying about. I said, "I know you may never understand how women work but this, right here, is best friends. The people who show up because they just wouldn't feel right not being there. The women I love, and who love me, are amazing like this. Hold you up when you cannot do it for yourself."

He walked over, kissed my forehead, and told me I was silly.

I sent an e-mail to a choice few and told them how much I love them.
And that I hope they know they hold me up.
And that I am ready to do the holding when I am called.
And not to make fun of their sappy friend crying alone in the middle of the country.


They all made fun.
I knew that they would.
They also told me they would totally hold me up too.


The women I call friends are miracles.
People I can't possibly explain to anyone they are so magical.

But, hell, I'll try.

Caye. Over 25 years and still she loves me. Strong and honest and seemingly more beautiful as we approach our 40th than she was as we slid into 30.

Vivian. The single best thing that came out Uno's. She is my effortless friend.

Leigh. The softest part of my heart - where I keep Jack and Lucio. Leigh is right next to that. She is my touchstone.

Eileen. Over 20 years ago, the silliest thing in the world brought us together. I thank God for NKOTB.

Les. Happy fingers. Every single thing I do with Les is fun.

Becca. No one makes me laugh like you. Or can bring me off the ledge faster.

Liz. Passionate and generous. Best voice of anyone I know.

Stephanie. A sister friend. I should spend more time thanking my brother for marrying her.

Danielle. Gentle and strong. And everything she wears is perfect.

Lori. Best laugh ever. Gives the best hugs. Lets me be whatever I want without judgement.

Julie. She's my comet. I didn't even know I was looking for her. Kind and smart and calls me on my shit.

Good night, my friends. Thank you for holding my fat ass up.

Which, incidentally, is four pounds smaller than it was on Christmas.

Me love you long time.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out girl. I love you! And yes, Grey's has become a distant memory for me... no longer a must see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for holding me up, too. And I am jealous you've lost 4 pounds . . . me, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honored to be your friend. You are such a blessing to me and I'm happy to hold you up whenever the call comes. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete